Saturday, February 6, 2010

Signs

Do you realize that there are signs all over the place, from stop signs, to addition signs to Nike signs and everything in between. These signs are important because they dictate to us what if any information is needed for us to know. I don't necessarily pay great attention to these signs, I just see them and relate to them as needed. Never before had I had the opportunity to take stock and heed the instructions that were in front of me.

Now I know what you're thinking what you're thinking, "why is she going on about these signs?" And the answer is quite funny. I am currently listening to a book on tape by Sherri Shepherd called Permission Slips. There is a part where she talks about wanting to buy a pair of shoes, and that if God did not want her to buy the shoes that in the process of her writing the check out, it would somehow get wet and that was her knowing that God did not want her to buy those shoes. As she was writing her last name on the check wouldn't you know it a piece of spit flew out of her mouth landing on her check right by her husbands name.

Now she got the idea from some historical biblical person who was to fight with a group of people. He wanted God to assure him a victory, so he asked for a sign. If the cloak was wet and the ground was dry well then he was to go off and fight. He wakes up the next morning the ground is dry the cloak is wet,and he thinks okay well maybe I need another sign from God just to be sure. So he asks God to give him another sign and if the cloak is dry and the ground is wet then he'll know that he needs to go into battle and will be victorious. He wakes the next morning and guess what? The cloak is dry and the ground is wet, so he assembles his army and goes into battle and is victorious.

Sherri too needed another sign and she too received yet another sign from God that she was not to buy that pair of shoes. She didn't listen and when she went to wear the shoes, wouldn't you know it something crucial to the shoe fell off rendering them unwearable. Now Sherri and I have something in common, we were both raised in the same religion, that we are no longer a part of. That doesn't mean that we do not have a relationship with God, it simply means that going to church is not something we do. Heck even when we were practicing members of the religion we didn't go to church, because they call it a Hall, and these members are quick to point out to any and everyone who will listen that they do not go to church.

I wish that people would get it through their heads that just because you go to church does not mean that the relationship you have with God is any better than someone who does not go formally buy into organized religion but ahhh I digress, this is good for another blog topic.

As she was telling her story it made me think "well if she can ask for a sign, why can't I?" I've had a situation on my mind for the past few days, it's like a dull ache that is always there not really going away, but not really coming to the forefront. Y'all remember Byron right? Well I stopped talking to him a few weeks ago. I was sick of his whole nonchalatness to our situation and thought that I needed someone more open to the idea of being with me. Hell I'm used to guys pouring on and on about their feelings for me, and I can't even get this guy to say more than a five worded answer to me. Well long story short my bff left the country and I needed someone to talk to, so enter Bryon. We had a really good week, no big blow ups and I think that things for us are finally moving in a more positive direction.

He is the type of man I need, he's not someone who I can run over and call it a day. He is someone who will call me on my shit, and is not cow towing to me which is more than likely something that I need in a future relationship. The thing is, because he's not doing the things I'm used to guys doing I needed to know if he was someone I needed to pursue or simply just walk away from. So last night as I was staying up way to late watching Notorious, and The Corner I asked God for a sign. If I woke up before a certain time, that meant that staying the course was what God wanted from me.

I wake up early this morning after staying up way to late and with the added Ambien in my system to see that the time I set was the time it was. Of course I thought well maybe it was simply my own internal body's clock doing the whole "alarm" if you will and had nothing to do with God, that maybe my being up was simply a coincidence. So I laid back down and asked God for another sign that Bryon was the one for me. But this time I didn't ask for anything specific, just a sign.

I tape a lot of shows on my DVR, I am what one would say a lover of all things TV. On Saturday mornings I like to wake up and watch The Chappelle Show while drinking coffee. Now the particular episode that taped was one that I had seen oh a good five or six times. At the time I didn't even really want to watch it again. But I decided that oh well one more time wont make it any less funny. Mind you I have seen this show a number of times but never had I ever heard the name "Bryon" on the show, and this time as clear as day one of the people on the show was named Bryon. Had this been an actual TV show the coffee I had in mouth would have been spit out at my astonishment.

To me that was as clear a sign as I could get right?....Well it appears that God really has a sense of humor, or maybe he was really trying to drive his point home. Later in the day I had to go to a commercial taping, and I was sitting in between two girls who knew one another. One girl gives the other a birthday invite for her brother's party and what was the brothers name? Bryon! This is not a common name, and the fact that this all happened today after I asked for a sign is proof that God will point you in the direction He wants you to go in, if you just listen.

All I can say is I'm listening and I'm reading the signs that are laid out for me

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment